Adsense

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

16 April 2012

TITANIC: The Epic Drama That Still Touches My Heart 15 Years After


I decided to write a reaction piece instead of a review as I am not aware of the technicalities of a film that is most often contained in a review. To be perfectly honest, my mind is very preoccupied with thoughts about things that I wanted to write about Titanic but I just could not organize them. So I decided I will just write the way I want to say my opinion about the film.

Photo courtesy of gossipboy.ca


I saw Titanic 3D last April 14, 2012 with a friend. I was very happy because I realized it was the CENTENNIAL of the SINKING (which occurred on April 14, 1912). Even if it was on its second week of showing, the theater was still jam-packed; a live testimony on how well-loved the movie is that people are still willing to spend a portion of their money to SEE IT AGAIN. It was my second time to see it on big screen (the first one was in 1997) and my first time to see it in 3D but I have watched it several times before via VHS, DVD, free TV, and my laptop (the last being just November of last year). However, whenever I watch it, the emotions that I feel in every scene are always the same like it was my first time seeing it and even if I know what is going to happen next, I still could not help but feel scared, excited, happy, angry, and sad with each respective sequence being shown.

The film being in 3D is not its main attraction. Indeed, it’s a plus. But the fact that it will be shown again on the big screen made the fans excited that the first time it was hinted, people started raving about it on the web. The movie’s story: the clichéd romance between two lovers of totally opposite social status, and the dramatic and realistic portrayal of one of the most famous maritime disasters in history, are actually what the moviegoers are interested in. In fact, while watching the movie, I have totally forgotten about the 3D thing because I was so engrossed in the film, I hardly noticed the 3D features. It was that good. No further promotions had to be done. No merchandise had to be sold, It just had to be announced that it will be shown again. And we, the fans, went crazy.

The way the film was created was near to perfection. I especially would like to commend the musical score. It was fantastic! It stirred my emotions very, very effectively and accordingly to the scenes being shown. And, although I am quite fed up already with Celine Dion’s song, the humming of it whenever being played on certain scenes was so perfect, the scenes get emotional and, sometimes, even haunting. I guess no matter how much they bash the said song for its cliché, it was perfectly made, tailor made for Titanic. One of the tearjerkers as well was the music played by the four violinists towards the end of the film when the three had to rejoin their group mate who decided to perform solely. The scenes that were shown while their music was being played were really painful and affecting.

Photo courtesy of joblo.com

 The casts were all effective. I never thought of the two main casts as Leo and Kate, but rather, they were Jack and Rose. They were able to transform themselves and be exactly the character that they portrayed. I am really glad that Leo accepted the role after rejecting it for a couple of times and I am glad as well that James Cameron gave in to the lobbying of Kate for the role. Otherwise, I don’t think it would be this phenomenal. The two have amazing talents and they totally complemented each other. On the other hand, I was bothered by the acting of Kathy Bates and Billy Zane. I don’t know if their characters were really like that (Cal having a shaved eyebrows and acting like he has a Tourette syndrome) but, anyhow, I was really bothered whenever they show up on the screen.

On a side note, all the characters, for me, are essential. There were no extras. Everyone mattered. Everyone had their fair share of emotional contributions to the film. There were heroes who surfaced, some were fictitious, and some were real. He characters, although a lot, are all important.

Despite being shot and shown fifteen years earlier, it seemed like Titanic was just a new film shot this year. Everything looks new: the technology, the costumes, the music. The only thing, however, that looked 1990’s to me was the granddaughter of the old Rose Calvert. Heck she even looked like she was transported from the 1980’s. But overall, I loved the film. James Cameron was a wonderful director, a genius visual storyteller. I know it will be one of the films that will stand on top; a film that will be at par with the world’s greatest films; and a film that will be enjoyed by all generations.

Photo courtesy of ca.movies.yahoo.com

 “Well, yes, ma'am, I do... I mean, I got everything I need right here with me. I got air in my lungs, a few blank sheets of paper. I mean, I love waking up in the morning not knowing what's gonna happen or, who I'm gonna meet, where I'm gonna wind up. Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest ship in the world having champagne with you fine people. I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it. You don't know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you... to make each day count.” – Jack Dawson

You have to see it! AGAIN!

Yeeha! ;D



No comments:

Post a Comment